Basis set (Balcony Set) for 10 planter boxes of 1 m each for a balcony, also suitable for the watering of other planters or single plants in a flowerbed, also for larger formats such as small greenhouses or solariums. Water supplied from a water faucet using a pressure reducer (connected to house water tap or water supply).
- 10 m in total of planter boxes (10 boxes each 100 cm long)
- 4 m² planted bed (ca. 80 middle size plants)
- 40 single pots up to ca. 20 cm in size
(when using more than one Blumat per pot, reduce number of pots accordingly)
- 40 single plants in a greenhouse such as tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers
- 40 Tropf-Blumat with 20 cm drip tubing + T-connector piece
- 15 m water supply tubing black 8 mm
- 2 angle connectors 8-8 mm
- 2 end pieces 8-3 mm
- 2 branch connectors for tubing 8-8-8 mm
- 2 tubing connectors 8-8 mm
- 1 pressure reducer with Garden Hose Attachment
Deciding how many Tropf-Blumat are necessary
- For watering planter boxes, use the rule of thumb: 4 drip locations (Tropf-Blumat) per 100 cm box length (box width- 20 cm), 3 drippers for 80 cm. For wider troughs (such as 100x40 cm), usually 6-7 Tropf-Blumat are enough, depending on the size of the plants – also see bed plantings.
- For watering in pots, every plant / every pot should have 1 Tropf-Blumat. According to the pot size, 1 Tropf-Blumat is enough for pots up to ca. 20 cm in diameter, for pots up to 40 cm use 2 Tropf-Blumat, up to 50 cm 3 Tropf-Blumat.
- The size of the plant is also an important factor and sometimes the needs of a particular plant species plays a role when deciding on the number of Tropf-Blumat needed. Large Containers such as planting tubs, for example, should often have fewer drippers in order to avoid overwatering.
- For bed plantings, 2 plants (the size of typical summer flowers such as geraniums) require 1 Tropf-Blumat (plant spacing ca. 20-22 cm), when planted closer together (about 15 cm), 1 Tropf-Blumat is enough for a group of 3 plants.
Connection to tap water
The required pressure reducer fits a standard water faucet with ¾ inch outer threading. The water faucet must be kept constantly open for operation of the system. If the water tap is to be used for a garden hose in addition, then it is practical to use an optional 2-Way-Branch Connector, this allows for the watering functions (hose or Tropf-Blumat) to each be used separately.
The pressure reducer sets the pressure at 1 (0.8) bar, the pressure from the water source should not exceed 6 bar. It is also possible to connect to a house tap with less upstream pressure. For normal upstream pressure of 4-5 bar, the pressure reducer can handle about 250 Tropf-Blumat units over a length of 60 m.
It is important, that the pressure reducer be stored over winter protected from frost, or for the purpose of winter operation, that the water connection is located in a frost-free cellar.